Just yesterday I decided that my stash was becoming out of control, so I decided that it was time to organize! How timely because today's Sew, Mama, Sew blog post is all about people's stash habits. My quilting cottons are mainly stored in 2 large plastic storage drawers. Here's a before picture of the top drawer. Anything that didn't fit in the drawers got piled on top (or to the sides, or around the bottoms, or....wherever):
It was starting to get difficult to find things, so I decided to sort and fold it. Here's the bottom drawer now:
Wow! Check me out! Here's a little questionnaire from Sew, Mama, Sew that got me thinking 'bout my stash:
What do you usually sew? Quilts and Home Dec items
When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? whatever is there or about 1 yard
Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need? both
Are you a pre-washer? Not for myself. I will most likely pre-wash for a swap
Do you iron it? Yes
How do you sort it? I have novelties, holiday, stripes/plaids/dots, asian, batiks and then different colors
Do you have any special folding techniques? With selvage on the side and raw edge facing me, I wrap the fabric around my 5" wide acrylic ruler and then fold to get a square roughly 7" in length
How do you store your fabric? Under my cutting table in plastic storage drawers
What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash? Participate in swaps! Or join a FQ of the month club, which sends you a certain amount of FQ's each month. Both of these definitely get me out of my comfort zone.
When do you say enough is enough? It hasn't happened yet
What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects? Scrappy strip quilts
What’s your definition of the perfect stash? One that makes you smile and gives you butterflies every time you look at it!
Thanks to Sew, Mama, Sew for getting me in touch with my stash.

1 comments:
Damn - I'm impressed! Way to bust through your stash and clean it up... puts mine to shame... I wish I had the patience to fold as nicely as you did! Doesn't it make you feel great to get that done though... I know when my studio is clean it makes all the difference in the world!
Post a Comment